+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ipa decking

Default Re: ipa decking

I suppose I am a nut case because I am about to do the coating myself and mentally, I have convinced myself to do this annually and here is why.
    Having just installed tongue and groove ipe on my second floor porch I am reminded visually of the deep beauty of this wood that is hidden elsewhere through age as the wood earned that interesting gray patina. Originally I applied Messmers to the wood and did not like the look, nor did I like the finish as it degraded. I ordered the product sold by www.restore-a-deck.com to clean the wood in two stages. I plan on lightly pressure cleaning and then adding woodzotic.
    After 5 years of the Florida sun, the wood has small surface cracks as though it is craving some sort of finish. I used Ipe because it tends not to splinter like pressure treated. I would say that the wood needs a pressure clean every two years or so anyway so I think the extra effort will be worth it. I will let you know how it looks after a year or so.

Keep us posted as to your results with the Restore-A-Deck deck washing products and WoodZotic Stain and Seal. I have a special vested interest ;-)

Ken

Once again, my compliments for a job well done. The WoodZotic ipe deck stain finished nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by LandShark View Post
    Keep us posted as to your results with the Restore-A-Deck deck washing products and WoodZotic Stain and Seal. I have a special vested interest ;-)

Ken
    Ken,
    I am ecstatic with how it looks. I am also very happy with the resore-a-deck cleaning agent. At this point, without question, I would re-coat.
    Peter

Smile Re: ipa decking

Hi everyone - there seems to be conflicting opinions on what is better for an ipe deck/porch - messmer's uv or penofin. We are building a 1100+ sq ft covered porch, 10' deep with ipe (5/4" x 6" size boards) and we are located in Oregon which has its own 'humidity' challenges. We keep going back and forth with these 2 products. We want to protect the wood so that our porch is not a yearly or biannual project. Any advise?
    Thank you!

I am considering having an ipa deck and porch built. We live on Chautauqua Lake Western NY in the snow belt. We have two large maple trees that would drop leaves on the deck. We are looking at about a 400 square foot deck and a 150 square foot porch.
    Questions.
    Does anyone have experience with ipa decks in heavy snow areas? Would you recommend it?
    Will the maple leaves stain the deck?
    Any recommendation of a supplier for the ipa decking?
    Cost estimate for 1200' of 1x6 ipa decking? Installed?
    Thanks,
    Sculler