maintaining redwood interior
Our lake home has natural redwood paneling in most rooms, including in hallways below grade. In the summer months the redwood will mildew (turn black) and smell. I have used deck cleaner several times to wash the walls as best I can. (Also, there is a dehumdifier running where possible but it does not reach to the hallways). Is there anything I can do to prevent moisture rention in the walls that is safe for interior walls, ie. water sealer or should I poly some of the walls?
Re: maintaining redwood interior
If you have recurring mildew problems showing to the inside walls, I would be concerned what might be going on inside the walls, especially below grade. I would consider backing off some of the paneling to make a visual inspection. You state that you have used deck cleaner to remove the black staining. A cleaner might lighten the stain marks , but not kill the mildew. Most cleaners are oxalic acid which is not a mildecide. If you have a mold/mildew problem, it might be time for professional mold remediation.